Can car finance companies give your personal information to references?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can car finance companies give your personal information to references?

My finance company calls and harasses my family. Tells them how much money I owe, tell them that they are going to send me to court, they also call everyone and disguise their caller id as one of my family members. Example: They will call my mom, with my phone number as their caller ID, and my mom picks up thinking that I’m the one calling her. Also my finance company has disrespected my family. Tells them that They are mentally ill and stupid. This is very embarrassing and is putting a lotof stress on me and my family. What can I do?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In California as well as most states in this country there are laws prohibiting unfair debt collection practices. Likewise there is a federal law on the subject as well.

From what you have written, the constant phone calls to you and the deceptive business practices by the finance company that is harassing you for unpaid bills borders upon unfair debt collection practices.

Accordingly, I recommend that you consult with legal counsel who is experienced with unfair debt collection practices to see what can be done to stop the contact with you. Possible results could be the filing of a lawsuit for an injunction as well as damages for violation of statute regarding unfair debt collection practices and an unfair business practice.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption