Can a state toll road agencys garnish my wages?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a state toll road agencys garnish my wages?

I just claimed bankruptcy and the toll roads agency says that it doesn’t apply to them. Can they garnish my wages still?

Asked on January 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Debts that can be discharged in bankrupcy usually consist of those considered to be a pecuniary loss when stemming from an administrative agency.  So, if the toll road agency says you owe a fine, that is not something that can be discharged through bankruptcy.  However, if the toll road agency states you owe them for unpaid toll charges (pecuniary loss), then you can more likely than not have it discharged through bankruptcy. So look at any documentation from the agency and see whether or not it is categorized as a fee owed or as a fine owed.  Check the agency's website and see if it ever filed an administrative action against you or filed suit prior to your bankruptcy to collect the monies owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption