What can I do if an employer contractually agreed to re-imburse my expenses but has refused to do so?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if an employer contractually agreed to re-imburse my expenses but has refused to do so?

I worked for a company, as a 1099 contractor. The owner misrepresented the position. I was on the road through the week and at home, on the weekends. I didn’t have the work environment to maintain an office. When I returned home,

I would have to catch-up with personal affairs. At the end of 2016, I turned-in 5 months of expenses for re-imbursement. Nothing was stipulated contractually as to time limits. In fact, my trainer joked that we could turn them in weekly or wait to receive a Christmas bonus. I worked in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. Can I file claim in Indiana…the company is located in Missouri? Another consideration, he would micromanage our daily activities, distracting me from carrying out all of my duties. He owes me $7000.

Asked on February 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The alleged "misrepresentation" is not relevant: an employer may change a job at will, unless it is specified in an written employment contract, so there is no right to a particular set of duties or work condition. Similarly, the micromanagement is irrelevant: employers are allowed to micromanage or generally manage awfully, interfering with work.
What does matter is that you incurred expenses for work, with the understanding they would be reimbursed, and they have not been. You could sue the employer for the money, based on "breach of contract"--violation of the understanding or agreement (even if only an oral, or unwritten one) that you would be reimbursed, and based on which you incurred the charges. You need to sue in a county in which the employer has an office--the county/state for its main office would be preferably--because (to oversimplify), courts only have power over defendants located within their jurisdiction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption