Can anything be done about deceptive advertising from a vocational school?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can anything be done about deceptive advertising from a vocational school?

I attend a vocational school for medical assisting that used deceptive
advertising. They advertised that we would be getting phlebotomy certified but
now that we have started that doesn’t seem to be the case. Is there anything
that we can do about this? We are a small class but are all wanting to do
something about it.

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Deceptive advertising, or representing that you could receive a certain certification when you in fact cannot, may be fraud, and fraud can provide a basis for recovering compensation (e.g. getting your money paid back). You and your classmates should meet with an attorney to discuss possibly bringing a case--it may be worth your while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption