Can anyone petition to admit a Will even if an executor has been named?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can anyone petition to admit a Will even if an executor has been named?

A Will was sent to me, the surviving widow. The executor has never contacted me. The Will was admitted to probate by an attorney but not the executor. Can this other person (the attorney) be allowed to admit the Will for probate acting as a representative for the executor? If so, I should be sent a notice of what is going on with Will? I was sent nothing ever. Is this legal?

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of every state any interested person to a Will whether they are named in it as a beneficiary or as the executor or not can file a petition to probate the Will in the superior court of the state where the person who signed the document last resided.

If there is an attorney doing the probate of the Will most likely the executor retained this attorney to start the court proceedings regarding it. It is not the attorney for the estate of the deceased person who submits the Will to probate, it is the interested person who does such. In your situation it is most likely the executor.

Invidual beneficiaries are entitled to be given notice of all proceedings concerning the probate of a Will. In your situation it seems that the probate process has just started and that there is not much to report. From what you have written about your situation there is nothing indicating what has transpired is improper. I suggest you contact the executor and the attorney for the Estate for a status report concerning the probate.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption