Can a person takea life insurance policy out on someone without their permission orknowledge?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person takea life insurance policy out on someone without their permission orknowledge?

The individual that took out the policy, recently asked for my SSN to update her life insurance policy with me as her beneficiary (relative). I provided my SSN but later had second thoughts since the parties have an up and down relationship. Recent documents were found; a policy had been taken out on me in 1994 without my permission, knowledge, or signature. Of course she made herself beneficiary, signed my name, and filled out the policy entirely. I was incarcerated for 10-years. I haven’t signed anything. What are my rights or do I need an attorney?

Asked on June 18, 2011 under Insurance Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to take out a life insurance policy on the life of another person one needs to have what is known under the law as an "insurable interest" in that person's life.  Spouses have insurable interests in each other 's lives; business partners in each others lives; parents in the lives of their children.  Relatives who support other relatives can also have insurable interests.  Here you have not given a lot of information as to your relationship but I am going to assume that she does not have an insurable interest in your life.  If that is the case then the policy is void.  I am assuming that she has been paying the premiums.  What here do you want to do?   You can contact the insurance company and advise that you have become aware of the policy and that you did not execute any documents and that you believe that the policy is a fraud.  An investigation will begin no doubt in to the matter.  You can consult with an attorney if you wish to take legal action against her  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption