Can an undocumented student travel to an educational fieldtrip?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an undocumented student travel to an educational fieldtrip?

My name is Marvin. I am an undocumented
student in California. I am currently in High
school. One of my classes is going to an
educational fieldtrip to NY and I am part of it. I
was wondering if I can be part of the trip
without being detained or deported. By the way
I have my passport where I am originally from.

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If it involves traveling within the US, there is no immigration issues.  However, if it involves air travel, you will need to provide a form of government issued ID.  If you have a state ID, that will suffice.  If you only have a passport from your country, that may not be enough.  You need to discuss this with the specific airline to understand if that will be acceptable.  Also, if you qualify, you may be able to get a work permit and ID under DACA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption