Can an insurance company buy another insurance company and nullify existing agreements?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an insurance company buy another insurance company and nullify existing agreements?

I purchased long term care insurance when I retired at a set premium price. Another insurance company bought out the original and then increased the premium price 10% for 3 consecutive years. Are there regulations prohibiting this price increase?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Insurance Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes there may be regulations prohibiting this price increase on a set contract. To do otherwise could be construed as a material breach of contract, bad faith insurance coverage and just overall unfair and deceptive activity. You need to file a complaint with the insurance department in your state and the state attorney general. That should get the ball rolling but stay on top of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption