Can an insurance agent add someone to my policy without my consent?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an insurance agent add someone to my policy without my consent?

My agent and I shared an account. Recently, I discovered that she also put another person (her convicted felon employee) on my account without my concent. I am extremely upset and switched agents. is this legal?

Asked on August 8, 2012 under Insurance Law, Arkansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is completely illegal although I am unsure why your agent is on a shared account with you.  Either way, she cannot do this without your permission and without notice.  You need to contact the insurance agency in your state who regulates agents and file a complaint.  Then make sure this person is taken off of your account as an unauthorized person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption