Can an illegal immigrant landlord evict me?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an illegal immigrant landlord evict me?

I’ve rented a room in a house for several months. I found after a while that the landlord is illegal in the US but has been here for about 10 years. Can he evict me if he found someone who will pay more than what I pay now? Another question, is it legal for me to live in a house of an illegal landlord?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease concerning the room that you are renting in the house that you are in, you need to carefully read it in that its terms control the obligations that you owe to the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Your landlord cannot legally evict you if you have more than thirty days (more than a month-to-month tenancy) at this time unless you are not current with your rent for your room.

The is nothing illegal about you residing in a home of an illegal alien in this country. Under the immigration laws of this country, illegal aliens are not allowed to work in this country nor be here unless properly documented through our immigration and naturalization office.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption