Can an employer refuse to pay me the 20 hours I worked because it was just training?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer refuse to pay me the 20 hours I worked because it was just training?

I was told upon hire that I would receive payed training. I clocked in and out every day I worked. Now the manager who hired me is no longer there and the boss over him is saying he doesn’t have to pay me because “it was only training”.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were told upon hire that you were required to do training as a condition of your job and that you would be paid for this training by your former manager, then you are entitled to be paid for for the time that you spent in training.

You also need to review any and all office policy manuels of your current employer in effect to see if there is or is not a policy in effect concerning payment for training of an employee to assist you.

If your current boss will not pay you for the training you had to do for work related events, you should contact the nearest labor department and make a complaint against your employer. Another option is to contact an employment lawyer.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption