Can an employer put you on a leave of absence Without pay because of their paperwork mistakes?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer put you on a leave of absence Without pay because of their paperwork mistakes?

Ive been working at this place for 3 years, I
have a clear background, but DCF and my boss
at the time didnt submit the papers correctly so
it came back as not able to work in childcare
since I lived in Massachusetts and never got an
out of state screening. Well DCF just now
caught this THREE years later. And they said I
cannot work for the next 7-10 days while they
sort this out. I feel like this isnt right. Its not my
fault they messed up?

Asked on October 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It's not right, but it's legal. Employment in this nation is "employment at will": there is no right to or guaranty of a job. An employer can terminate--or, as here, suspend--an employee at any time for any reason, even the employer's own error.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption