Can an employer pay a different hourly wage than what my hired wage is?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer pay a different hourly wage than what my hired wage is?

I was hired as a bus driver at lowest level bus driver pay no experience. I’ve
been helping out in the office since our secretary quit the Friday before school
started and my pay was separated into hours worked in the office and driving
time and I was paid less for the secretary hours. There were no negotiations,
agreement or employment contract to work as a secretary or to change my pay.

Asked on October 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, they do *not* have an obligation to discuss it with you or get your agreement, unless--and only if--you had a written employment contract guarantying or setting your pay. In the absence of a written contract, your employer may freely change your pay at will, whether or not you agree. And an employer may pay an employee different wages for different tasks or aspects of the job. So based on what you write, this was legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption