Can an employer of hold an employee’s paycheck for any reason?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer of hold an employee’s paycheck for any reason?

I turned in my uniforms and they told me that I owe them $20 due to damages on the bottom of the pants, nothing big just some fraying on the bottom. However, I don’t get to keep the pants if I pay for them. Is this legal?

Asked on January 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is not legal. If you purchased the pants, you keep the product. If you rent the pants, then you don't pay for damages and they absorb that cost. Something doesn't sound right so if I were you, I would contact the state labor department and file a complaint or consider filing a complaint against them for unfair and deceptive practices through the local or state prosecutor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption