Can an employer force you to work on your scheduled day off?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer force you to work on your scheduled day off?

USPS provides a schedule which tells you what your day off are for the week.
They then call you on those days off and tell you that you have to come in if
needed. Is that legal?

Asked on June 29, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless calling you in on your day off violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, it is legal. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will". This means that a company canse the conditions of employment must as it sees fit (absent some sort of legaally actionble discrimination). That having been said, if you are a "non-exempt" worker (i.e. typically one who is paid hourly), then you must be compenated for all time that you work. And to the extent that these extra hours put you over 40 for your work week, the time must be paid as time and a half.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption