Can an employer cut my salary base? Without notice

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer cut my salary base? Without notice

I currently painting company and get a
619 a week salary. I also work on
commission. I am in Washington State
and I got my paycheck which was cut in
half. When I get a commission sale the
company takes away my salary base. Is
this legal?

Asked on November 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

They can't cut it for work you already did: that is a breach of contract, since you did that work pursuant to an agreement (even if only an oral, or unwritten, one) according to which you did the work (or made the sales) in exchange for a given wage or commission. If you did your part, then they are obligated to do theirs, and pay you the then-in-effect rate. If they violate the terms under which your worked, you could sue them breach of contract for the money due you.
Going forward, they can cut your wage, salary, or commission at any time, and the cut will be effective for all work done or sales made from the moment you received notice foward (unless you had a still-in-effect or unexpired written employment contracting guarantying or locking in your pay).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption