Can your employer change your time sheet after you’re on the job site?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can your employer change your time sheet after you’re on the job site?

So the company takes us to and from work 4 to midnight is the official shift, now can they legally take time away from you after you arrive on the site? We only have 1 clock out card and each our own time sheets and I was threatened that they could do this yesterday and that seemed a little odd since we have to clock in and clock out on our arrival and departure with the time card so I started to wonder if it was legal.

Asked on July 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, this is not legal. The law, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act or FLSA, is clear about two things:
1) Employers must track all time worked accurately, and cannot take time away from employees;
2) Hourly employees must be paid for all time worked.
What you describe is a violation of the labor laws. You may wish to contact the department of labor about possibly filing a wage-and-hour complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption