Can an employer change an employee’s method of payment without notification?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer change an employee’s method of payment without notification?

I am a teacher with a contract that goes from Aug to July and a coach with a supplemental contract that goes from July to June. Payroll changed my teaching contract which is my primary job to the supplemental contract and when I stopped coaching this year I did not get a check in July. They said it was because they changed it. They did this without notifying me.

Asked on July 31, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In order to give an accurate response to this question one would have to read the contracts in question.  Generally,  the terms of the contract are binding as between the parties that sign them.  You need to read your contract and determine if they have followed the provisions or if not, they have "breached" the contract.  A party can not "unilaterally" - meaning on their own - change a contract to suit their needs.  Are you part of a Union?  Then bring the contract discrepancies to the attention of your union rep.  Otherwise, seek legal counsel in your area to read the contracts with a fine tooth comb. The remedies may also be contained therein. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption