Can an employer change a document a status change after I have signed it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer change a document a status change after I have signed it?

My employer changed a document that I signed after I had already signed it,
without my knowledge or consent. I do the filing, and found it as I was filing,
and my pay rate has been marked through, and a lower pay rate has been written
beside it. If I had not seen it, no one would have told me it happened. Do they
have the right to do this? And yes, I am looking for another place to work, is
anyone hiring an administrative assistant?

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your employer cannot change a contract after you signed it: if they do, you could sue them for "breach of contract" to recover what you are owed under the unmodified, original contract. But if it was not a contract, while they technically cannot change it, it does not actually matter if they did: anything not "locked in" by a written contract is something the employer may change at will. So if, for example, you did not have your pay rate guaranteed by an actual written employment contract for a set period of time (e.g a one-year contract), your employer could simply change your rate/pay whenever they wanted. (That is a consequence of "employment at will," which is the law of the land in the absence of a contract.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption