Can an employer ask an employee to sign a paper stating that they are dating someone within the company?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer ask an employee to sign a paper stating that they are dating someone within the company?

My employer is making me sign a paper stating that I am aware of the harassment policy (but never got a handbook) and that I am dating another employee in the company. I have refused to sign but I have until Sunday to change my mind and sign the paper before they turn it over to HR to decide what to do.

Asked on December 9, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If by "make" you sign the paper, you mean can they discipline, demote, transfer, reduce pay, and/or terminate you for not signing it--yes, they can. Employers have the right to set the terms and conditions of employment, including that employers acknowledge in writing an nonfraternization or sexual harassment policy or that if they are involved with someone in the company, they acknowledge that, too. If you are not in fact involved with another employee and they are trying to make you sign something false, you should not sign it and you should contact an employment attorney; but if it is true, then they can make you sign this and they can take action against you if you do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption