Can my ex-employer change the hours I worked on my final paycheck?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-employer change the hours I worked on my final paycheck?

I recently resigned from a job. I was told that I’d receive full pay for the final week. When I got my check, the amount was half of what it should be. Payroll said the owner changed it and gave no cause. My time sheet had already been sent in and approved. The owner gave me no reason why, other than I quit.

Asked on October 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, this is illegal: you must be paid for all hours worked up to the time you quit or resigned. If not, you could sue your employer for "breach of contract" (for violating the agreement, even if only an oral, or unwritten one, pursuant to which you worked those hours in exchange for a certain amount of pay). If the amount owed is less than the limit for small claims court, suing in small claims, as your own attorney or "pro se" to save on legal fees, is a very good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption