Can an auto shop charge storage fees after they said they wouldn’t?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an auto shop charge storage fees after they said they wouldn’t?

I have a car that was in an accident over 1 1/2 years ago. I have been making periodic payments on the car since it was not covered by the insurance. I’m very close to paying it off to only find out that I now owe a few thousand. I was told that I would not be charged storage fees and now they have added them on. I have been reading the laws but I’m not sure if this is something I can fight.

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can fight it. Check your agreement with the car mechanic and then if you have written evidence or memory with whom you spoke about not charging storage fees, you indicate the mechanic must give you your car now because what it did is considered conversion at most and at th very least breach of contract. Contact the entity that regulates the shop or file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general or city prosecutor if it refuses to give you your car back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption