Can an attorney come back and change an entire real estate contract?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an attorney come back and change an entire real estate contract?

We are purchasing a condo and all parties came to an agreement and signed a contract last week. There was an addendum written for the seller to have her

attorney review it, however it did not state that the attorney would be able to change the entire contract, just to review it. Now the deal is a mess.

Asked on October 5, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So if you have not been represented by an attorney thuse far PLEASE GET ONE NOW!  Why was there an addendum?  Is it after inspection?  The contract may allow for that so they need to be read together and the reasoning behind them discussed in person.  Generally speaking, a contract is legally binding and can not be changed "unilaterally" - by only one side.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption