Can an attorney collecting a credit card debt subpoena my employee records from my employer?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an attorney collecting a credit card debt subpoena my employee records from my employer?

Asked on August 20, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment against you from a credit card debt, the attorney for the judgment debtor can subpoena your pay records from your current employer to assist in collection of this debt where the likely result will be a wage garnishment and perhaps a bank levy on your accounts for payment of this obligation.

Under the debt collection statutes of many states, the requested subpoena upon your wage records of your employer is allowed.

If you can make monthly installment payments on this debt, that would perhaps be the wisest course for you assuming the judgment creditor will enter into a written agreement for you to do so and hold off all other debt collection enforcement procedurer and proceedings.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption