Can an attorney charge me for fees after he terminated our agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an attorney charge me for fees after he terminated our agreement?

The attorney terminated our agreement and continues to charge me fees incurred by another party. I did not give consent nor was asked for consent.Is this legal? The attorney also sent a bill which included

Asked on August 6, 2019 under Estate Planning, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The fees should have ended when the attorney terminated the agreement with you.  You should not be charged fees incurred by another party. Being charged fees incurred by another party may be a mistake by the attorney's office.
If you are unable to obtain an accounting from the attorney, contact the Maryland State Bar. A call to the attorney from the State Bar should correct these issues.  If it does not, file a complaint against the attorney with the State Bar.  The State Bar may have a fee arbitration procedure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption