Can an Apartment complex force you to resign a lease becuase of their error?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an Apartment complex force you to resign a lease becuase of their error?

We applied for an apartment that wasn’t available until 11/26/16 . We signed the lease on 11/27/16 and were told that we would receive a 500 gift card because we rented so soon after it was available. We signed the lease. Now 3 weeks later they want us to come in and resign the page where the 500 gift card was listed because now they say the apartment was available on the 21st and we didn’t sign till the 26th. We are fighting them as we feel it’s bait and switch. This is in Colorado. What are my legal options?

Asked on December 21, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, in a case like this, where it was clearly and only their error, they can't make you re-sign and they are obligated to what the lease states. Errors can be corrected when there was reason for  both sides, had they paid attention, to know of the error: e.g. if there was correspondence between you that the apartment you were renting was, say, 1A and you both agreed that was the apartment, but they accidently listed 2A on the lease; or where a "zero" dropped out of the agreed upon rent in the lease, so instead of $1,000 a month, which is what you both agreed it, the lease said $100 a month. But if there was no mutual mistake or typographic or mathematical error, but they simply offered you something which they later realized they did not have to, they are still obligated to the lease (which is a contract)--one party rethinking what they could or should have offered is not a correctable error. You may refuse to sign and could even sue them for breach of contract if they won't pay this amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption