Can an American citizen come back into the united states from Mexico without a passport?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an American citizen come back into the united states from Mexico without a passport?

My niece and nephew are American citizens. They went to live with their mother also an American citizen in Mexico 6 yrs ago. They want to come home and live with the father my brother. The US Embassy in Mexico is requesting paperwork that is impossible to gather for their passports. Can he just take their birth certificates and SS cards to the border and pass the with that?

Asked on June 28, 2018 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, that would not be possible but can you please clarify what the US Embassy is asking for that would be impossible to obtain?  Were the children born in the US or in Mexico?  If in the US, do they have valid birth certificates?  If not in the US but in Mexico but their father is a US citizen and was at the time of birth?  Please explain.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption