Can an adult living with their guardians call the police if they are physically harmed?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an adult living with their guardians call the police if they are physically harmed?

I am 19 years old and live with my aunt and uncle. My uncle has been physically abusive as well as emotionally abusive throughout my childhood. There have been occasions where his “spankings” became “beatings” that left me and my younger sister bruised very badly and significantly. Recently he has begun to threaten to hurt me badly among other things. What I want to know is now that I am a legal adult, if he threatens to or attempts to cause me bodily harm by hitting me, do I have the right to call the police and get protection, even if they are my “guardians”?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  Absolutely yes.  Do not hesitate to call the police guardians or not.  You have taken far too much at this point in time and you do not have to take any more.  Now, how old is your sister?  You are technically considered an adult at this point in time but I am worried for her.  Your situation as to schooling or a job, etc., was not disclosed.  Are there other family members that you can go to for help and who may take your little sister in with them?  I a worried that she will be taken and placed in to foster care.  You can apply yourself to be her guardian but you need to be in a stable home with a stale job, etc. in order for the court to take you seriously.  And if you are in school we do not want to have you stop.  Please find another adult that you trust to help you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption