Can Alimony in a Divorce Settlement be extended beyond the agreed to time period?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can Alimony in a Divorce Settlement be extended beyond the agreed to time period?

My divorce settlement includes paying monthly alimony for 10
years. At the end of the 10 years, can my ex seek to extend
this? If so, what is the likelihood that it would be granted?

Asked on September 29, 2018 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A settlement is a voluntary agreement or contract--once it is entered into, the parties are bound by its terms. While the parties could voluntarily choose to modify, extend, etc. it, they can't be forced it. Your ex has no grounds to compel or require the extention of the agreement she entered into, and a court should not change the agreement for her benefit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption