Can a warrant be issued for failure to appear on a complaint for ejectment?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a warrant be issued for failure to appear on a complaint for ejectment?

I received a complaint for ejectment from my landlord, with a court date 10 days from now. I already planned on being moved from the premises before the court date. I know if I do not appear on the court date, landlord will retain posession of property, which is okay because I plan on moving before then anyway. If I do not show up on the court date will a warrant for arrest be issued for failure to appear?

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I think that you are thinking something different than what it is.  A warrant of eviction is not the same as a warrant for arrest.  A warrant of eviction gives the landlord the right to get you out (give it to the marshall or sheriff and have them help get you out) but it is not a warrant for your arrest.  Those are generally issued in criminal cases.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption