Can a used car dealer keep a deposit if they can’t get you financed after more that 60 days?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a used car dealer keep a deposit if they can’t get you financed after more that 60 days?

I bought a used car and there is a problem with financing. Now my paper tag expired but I already made a payment to the finance company. I still have no title or financing.

Asked on October 28, 2010 under General Practice, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

This sounds like it might be what is known as a breach of contract case but without reading the sales contract it is difficult to say.  But I do have to say that the failure to register and get license plates is a big problem for me here.  I think that you should take the agreements you have- all the paperwork - to an attorney in your area to take a look at and to see what is going on.  Why you are paying money to the finance company without an agreement I do not know.  And I think that you need to figure that out BEFORE your next "payment" is due.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption