Can a U.S. citizen sue a Canadian company?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a U.S. citizen sue a Canadian company?

I’m a U.S. citizen, truck driver, who has been personally and severely affected by a product sold by a Canadian-Based company, but marketed, extensively, to U.S. trucking companies it’s BigRoad Electronic Logging Device hard/software system that falsifies Driver Logs randomly. The stress imposed is enormous. How does one go about suing a Canadian-Based corporation from the U.S.?

Asked on February 17, 2018 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Several issues:
1) There is not enough information in your question to confirm if you can sue in a U.S. court: depending on how the device is marketed and sold and the nature of this company's connection to the U.S., you might have to sue in Canada, if there ia insufficient connection to your state or the U.S. generally.
2) If you are not the one who purchased the device (e.g. it was bought by a company for whom you work or drive), you might not be able to sue, since you are not the one who has the legal connection to the device or manufacturer.
3) If the harm you suffered is only stress, you cannot recover compensation: there us not compensation simply for experiencing stress.
4) If falsying logs is used to defraud anyone or circumvent any laws, be aware that you, since you are evidently using it on your truck, could be liable for the fraud or other illegal act. You are not allowed to violate the law or commit fraud as part of your job; you are expected to quit (and/or report to law enforcement) before doing that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption