Can a trustee charge for services?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a trustee charge for services?

I am trustee to my Parents estate, not a lot but I had been their caregiver for several years, taking them out of state to Dr apts, sometimes hospital stays for weeks at a time away from work home. Doing paperwork being in charge of selling renting homes along with typing up contracts, deeds, foreclosure a couple evictions. I never got paid for any of it, I did it because I was their Daughter. My siblings live over 2,000 miles away have not been around to help much. Even to clean the house out to list for sell they weren’t here to help. I have lost a lot of pay from wages just wondering if it’s right to get some kind of compensation.

Asked on September 6, 2017 under Estate Planning, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation that arose while you were taking care of everything.  I can see why your parents chose you to take on this responsibility. What does the Trust say?  Generally in KLansas the answer is yes, a Trustee receives compensation. If the Trust allows for compensation then absolutely yes, you would be entitled to compensation. If it is not specific but says only "reasonable" compensation then you would have to determine what you did and the value for same.  Here is my concern: Kansas law says that a Trustee can waive their right to compensation either explicitly (by signing something) or intent to waive your right can be inferred.  It can be inferred when a party does not file for compensation during the time that they are administering the Trust.  How long have you been taking care of things?  Do you think that your siblings will give you a hard time if you put in for fees now?  If the Trust says no compensation then no.  I would seek legal help here for many reasons but mostly to determine if you are entitled to compensation (if it is silent I would err on the yes side) and if yes, then if your actions constituted a waiver.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption