Can a trust fund be removed if the trustee refuses to have contact with the beneficiary?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a trust fund be removed if the trustee refuses to have contact with the beneficiary?

My mom died 11 years ago and left her house and land to me. My brother is the trustee but I haven’t heard from him in all these years. I can’t get homeowner’s insurance or my mortgage redone because of the trust fund.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the problems that have resulted.  It sounds as if the trustee may be breaching his duties by refusing to speak with the bebficiary and may be breaching his duties for filing certain documents, etc.  You must first understad that the terms of the tust will be the first place to look to determine how he is supposed to proceed a trustee.  This, along with the law in your state, is what you need to ascertain.  You can have him removed if he is indeed in breach.  Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption