Can a traffic ticket be re-written?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a traffic ticket be re-written?

A traffic stop yielded a speeding ticket for going 35 in a 25 mph zone. A driver’s license and non-vehicle ownership insurance provided. Several years of current registration was unavailable for which officer volunteered to trace. The ticket was written to the vehicle owner -deceased at the time- and the court is allowing the officer to rewrite the ticket. I have refused to sign this ticket as it is not the original legal document. What is my legal standing?

Asked on September 17, 2019 under General Practice, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a ticket may be rewritten or amended if the authorities become aware of more accurate or correct information: for example, if the become aware that the former owner is deceased, it can be revised to name the current owner and/or the person operating the car at the time. The revision is legal and has effect against you (i.e. you can be ticketed) regardless of whether you agree to sign it or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption