can a third party sign your name for a purchase

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a third party sign your name for a purchase

we fianance at a furniture company and got approve.when we were wrapping up they wanted a down payment we said no and walked out.when we got home later that night we had a message from salesmen that they waived down payment and furniture would be arriving in 2 days.when we looked at emails of transactions someone signed them not that even legal and do we have to pay for the stuff?

Asked on May 2, 2017 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, it is NOT legal. A third party cannot obligate you without your consent and authority from you (such as a power of attorney or POA). You are not obligated to accept the delivery; you can refuse it and would not have to pay. Note that you cannot keep the items without paying: if you do accept them, by accepting them, you have agreed to the purchase.
If you refuse and they claim they will try to make you pay, you could report them to the police for fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption