Can a student tutor be charged with

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a student tutor be charged with

I’m a high school senior, aged 17. I was approached by a client on Craigslist. I gave this client my price for teaching her students, however she told me that she was a single parent with 3 kids, and asked me to lower my price. The lady and I agreed on a price. I created a contractwhich she denies seeing that had all the terms, such as the fact that she is paying ahead for her sessions, and that there

would be no refunds. After a couple days of tutoring I noticed multiple times the parent driving luxury cars. I then understood that she had played on my emotions. I texted her and asked her for a raise in the following month. She then came to my home and asked for a refund for the classes I had not

taught. I stated the policy and she became aggressive and threatened to call then police. I told her to call the police and the police came and stated how the topic was a civil one and asked the lady to leave. Afterwards. I offered to settle and give her the remaining money, yet she is suing me for pain and suffering. I was wondering what case she could make against me and if her case will hold up in court.

Asked on October 23, 2017 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no viable claim for "pain and suffering" in a disagreement over a contract: the law simply does not allow pain and suffering compensation in contractual cases. Even in a "tort' case (based on doing something violating your general legal duty to other people, like by intentionally harassming or assaulting them, or hitting their car while driving negligently/carelessly), the "victim" has to prove with evidence the pain and suffering--e.g. show medical evidence of the harm--and cannot get compensation just by saying "pain and suffering" without proof. Nothing you have written indicates liability on your part for pain and suffering, and if she does file a lawsuit, you should strongly considering filing a counterclaim for "malicious use of process" or "abuse of process" (different states may use different terms)--i.e. for maliciously filing an invalid lawsuit for an illegal purpose, such as to coerce you into paying money you don't owe her or to harass or punish you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption