Can a roommate kick you and throw away your items…Lost in north Carolina

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a roommate kick you and throw away your items…Lost in north Carolina

I was living with a friend who kicked me while I was out of town and then proceeded to throw all my belongings in the trash.Is this legal can I do anything about it?

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


R.S.T., Member, NY Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

it all depends how long you stayed away. You have a responsibility to reclaim your belonging within a reasonable period of time.  If it was a long time that your stuff stayed with ur friend, then the property became abandoned, and your friend can do whatever your friend wants with it. But if it was a reasonable time only, and ur friend knew that those belongings were yours than you can sue your friend for the reasonable cost of those items minus wear and tear. but sentimental items that dont have any real value cannot be replaced or compensated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption