Can a property manager give away the unit you put money down to secure the unit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a property manager give away the unit you put money down to secure the unit?

Hi my best friend which is pregnant was
trying to rent out a unit at an
apartment complex. She gave the
property manager the security deposit
to hold the place and all of the
documents she needed to get the place.
She was suppose to move in on the 8th
of April but the property manager gave
it to someone else and did not call to
let her know anything that was going
on. If my best friend did not call her
to find out the Status of the place the
property manager would not have said
anything. Is this even legal to do so?

Asked on April 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If she put down a deposit to hold the unit, then as long as she came to take by the date she was suppposed to, they cannot give it away. If they did, she can sue them to force them to give her another unit and/or to give her compensation in addition to returning her deposit. She would be well-advised to retain a landlord-tenant attorney to help her.
But if she did not come to take possession of the unit in time and missed the date she should have moved in by, then they could re-rent it to someone else and would be entitled to keep the deposit due to her breach (not taking possession when she was supposed to).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption