Can a process server drop off papers at my house for someone who doesn’t live with me andexpect me to deliver them?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a process server drop off papers at my house for someone who doesn’t live with me andexpect me to deliver them?

I believe this server is trying to get me involved. I just left the papers in the street in front of my house. Do I have any responsibility or recourse?

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If a process server with respect to a lawsuit simply dropped off papers at your home (presumed summons and complaint) for someone who does not live there, you are not expected to deliver the papers to this person. The service attempt is called "sub-service".  

To protect yourself from any claims against you later, I suggest that you write the process service company a letter stating that the defendant in the papers "sub-served" upon you does not live at your home. Keep a copy for future reference and need of the letter sent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption