Can a principle press assault charges on a student who fought a student off school grounds?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a principle press assault charges on a student who fought a student off school grounds?

There were 2 minors that were caught fighting off school grounds. Neither of the 2 students want to press charges but the principle says he is pressing charges on both of us. Can he legally do that?

Asked on March 28, 2012 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The principal would only be a witness to the fight, and not the actual victim who has the power to bring criminal charges against you. With this said, the short answer is no. However, because you are bound by the Student Code of Conduct of your respective schools, the Principal could seek some form of reprimand or punishment internally through the school system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption