Can a police officer use opinionated statements in his police accident report?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a police officer use opinionated statements in his police accident report?

My accident reports point of impact in my favor but police officer states biast and opinionated statements about my emotional state after the accidentIs that legal?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Accident Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a police officer, and I wasn't there.  I'd have to take a look at the report, for exactly what he wrote.  But I've reviewed tons of police reports, and that's very unusual.

This is the sort of thing that ends up making a case too complicated, sometimes.  Without getting deeply into the facts, there's no way anyone can give you reliable advice.  You need to hire an attorney for that.  You can check your telephone book for the bar association's lawyer referral service, and another place to find a lawyer is our website,

You would not be able to sue the officer for this, as he would be immune under the New Jersey Tort Claims Act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption