Can a police department/sheriff’s department turn tickets into the university a student attends?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a police department/sheriff’s department turn tickets into the university a student attends?

I have a friend that is 24 and attends school with me. He was drinking in a neighborhood, but unfortunately was standing in the road, so he received a “drinking on a public road” citation. Two days later he received an email to set-up an appointment with the Dean of Students. We attend a christian university with no drinking policy, so they gave him another $200 fine and community service along with the fine he will have to pay in court. She had a copy of the ticket. I don’t see how that could be legal.

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Law enforcement that you are writing about may have an agreement with your university to patrol and protect it. If so, then under the agreement it has, it can report to the university any problems it discovers with its students which apparently was the situation with your friend and yourself.

You also have to be aware that the citation that was received first from law enforcement is a public record. You probably have a university code of ethics which the Dean of Students felt was violated where she issued you two another fine.

I see nothing improper as to what transpired which is the basis of your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption