Can a person use your address if they do not live in the home anymore?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person use your address if they do not live in the home anymore?

My ex-husband is using my address as his legal address although he has not lived here for over 3 years. He has his cars registered with this address

and his ID reflects this address as well

Asked on October 28, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, he can't: using a false address would be fraud against the state and a violation of the laws pertaining to ID; it would be a fraud against anyone who does business with him in reliance on his ID or after viewing/checking it; and it would be grounds for you to sue him for ANY losses or costs you incur due to him representing that he lives at your home (e.g if someone sues him and tries to put a lien on your home, believing it is his).
You can contact not just the DMV but also your local police and the state attorney general's office about this: what he is doing is a crime, and can and probably should get law enforcement involved. If you don't want to do that immediately, you can give him a week or two to correct this, then go to the authorities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption