Can a person that did a hit and run on my vehicle deny their insurance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person that did a hit and run on my vehicle deny their insurance?

My car was hit, no one was in the vehicle but the person fled. They hired an
attorney and do not want to use their insurance because it is a company car. Is it
that legal?

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The registered owner of the vehicle is the company. Therefore, your property damage claim should be filed with the company's insurance carrier.
If your property damage claim is not settled, you can sue both the company (registered owner of the vehicle) and the driver for negligence. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in the lawsuit) would be the cost of repairs to your car.
It would also be advisable to contact the district attorney's office to pursue criminal charges for hit and run against the driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption