can a person take someone off life support if no living will was left, if this was not the sick persons desire

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can a person take someone off life support if no living will was left, if this was not the sick persons desire

this person still had his mind his brain had not died or stopped, he had high fever but his breathing was getting better

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Accident Law, North Carolina


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

These cases are almost always difficult, and depend on both the unique facts of the case and, sometimes, on differences in the law between states.  If you were one of the sick person's heirs, you should talk to a lawyer with experience at this kind of problem, in your area.  One place to find qualified attorneys is our website,

It's very hard to second-guess doctors without seeing the records, and I'm not a North Carolina lawyer.  But if there was no brain death, or other clinical definition of death, and nothing from the patient, there might have been a very serious mistake made here.  It's worth looking into this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption