Can a person participate in a mock wedding while the divorce is pending?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a person participate in a mock wedding while the divorce is pending?

Someone is in the midst of a divorce that is not final but will be the spouse in a mock wedding but not sign or file any paperwork? What are the legal ramifications?

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Family Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, if it's only a "mock" wedding, it does not have any legal ramifications--pretending to do something does not create obligations, convey rights, alter legal relationships, etc. Of course, if the "mock wedding" is actually performed by someone (e.g. a minister) who *can* perform weddings, the participant may find him-  or herself an accidental bigamist, with the liability that entails.

The above said, depending on the context, the "mock" wedding can affect a real divorce. If it's performed in a way that is hurtful, insulting, deceptive, etc., it's somethig a judge might take into account during divorce proceedings. On the other hand, if it's purely innocent--a stage play; helping a friend during a rehersal for the friend's wedding; making an informative video about marriage, etc.--it's not likely to have any impact at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption