Can an employer change your schedule without 24 hour notice and without consent?

UPDATED: May 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer change your schedule without 24 hour notice and without consent?

I was supposed to go into work today but could not due to a family situation. Now my boss changed my schedule to go in on my day off tomorrow at 4 am without my consent or 24 hour notice. Is this legal?

Asked on May 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is an employment contract, union agreement or company policy to the contrary, your boss's action unfortunately is legal. The reason is that most work relationships are what is known as "at will". This means that an employer can hire/fire, promote/demote, increase/decrease salary/hours or change whatever other terms/conditions of employment as it sees fit. An employee, on their part, has the right to continue to work for their employer or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption