Can a officer enter a home through garage after a neighbor reportsthe garage door open?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a officer enter a home through garage after a neighbor reportsthe garage door open?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If a neighbor reports an open garage to law enforcement, the arriving officer to make sure that the occupants of the home are safe or that no criminal activity is happening in the home with the open garage is entitled under the law to enter the home through the garage as part of his or her investigation of the situation.

Assuming no one is in the home and nothing appears as though there was a burglary, the officer would typically secure the home by closing the garage, have the dispatcher call the home and leave a message as to what happened requesting the occupant of the home to return the telephone call.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption