Can a non-profit sports team charge late fees?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a non-profit sports team charge late fees?

My daughter is on a non-profit competitive cheer team. Non-profit so we pay 60 a month for tuition and $65 for competition fees. We usually pay on time unless something huge happens but the coach recently started texting in group texts that there will be a late fee attached if not paid by a certain ever month it’s a different day so I’m just curious, since they’re non-profit, can they

charge a late fee?

Missy Peterson

Asked on December 2, 2016 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes...there is no law saying that a non-profit organization cannot charge late fees. (For example: non-profit organizations that provide housing can charge late fees when rent is paid late). The fees can't be retroactive, but once you have notice that a fee will be imposed, they can collect it from that point forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption